Dr. Waylon Hunt took an unusual path to co-founding and leading a lab-based business, Intrinsic Analytics.
CLEAN BIOTECHNOLOGY IN MANITOBA
WHAT IS CLEAN BIOTECH
Clean Biotech Includes Bioenergy, Biochemicals, Biomass fuels and Biomaterials.
The CLEAN BIOTECH sector uses materials from or with living organisms to generate new value-added products, with the goal to reduce negative impacts on the environment. Clean Biotech companies work in the areas of renewable fuels, industrial bioproducts and bioremediation technologies.
TOP REASONS TO EXPLORE A CAREER IN CLEAN BIOTECH
- Clean Biotech is a growing industry
- The use of clean technologies is increasing year over year across industries
From 2019 to 2021, Manitoba’s clean biotech sector experienced a $105 million growth in revenue, reaching a total of $731 million in 2021.
- Diverse job opportunities and rewarding professions
1. The Drive to Net Zero Emissions by 2050
- Canada, along with all other G7 nations, is committed to achieving net-zero emissions by 2050. This will impact all regions and populations of Canada through strengthening the economy with sustainable jobs and clean industrial growth.
- The Government of Canada’s 2030 Emissions Reduction Plan provides a road map for reducing emissions by 40-45% from 2005 levels by 2030. The 2030 Emission Reduction Plan can be read here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/environment/weather/climatechange/climate-plan/climate-plan-overview/emissions-reduction-2030.html
- Canada’s Plan to reach net-zero can be read here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/environment/weather/climatechange/climate-plan/net-zero-emissions-2050.html
2. Manitoba’s Road to Resilience
- Manitoba’s plan to decarbonize by 2050. These adjustments to current energy usage will require many different workers to adapt current fuel usage and also to education and persuade the general population to change their current behaviours.
- The Manitoba report can be read here: https://climateactionmb.ca/road2resilience/#:~:text=Achieving%20the%20first%20UNEP%20goal,of%20net%20zero%20by%202050
3. It is a growing industry
- Opportunities abound from science majors through to business analysis and project management. New opportunities are being developed every day. Many clean biotech jobs are just being developed or have not been created, yet.
- The Biofuel Industry in Canada generates more than 3.5B$ annually and has created over 14000 jobs. https://www.utm.utoronto.ca/careers/media/5621/download?inline.
NOTE: As the clean biotech industry is an emerging industry, many of these jobs will pivot to become applicable to the biomass, biofuel, and biotech as the industry grows. Exciting opportunities exist for new graduates as well as seasoned workers.
Program and Courses
Are you starting your career, or looking to upgrade your knowledge and skills? Here is a list of courses and programs available at colleges and universities in Manitoba.
Red River College Polytech
University College of the North
University of Manitoba
University of Winnipeg