Emergent BioSolutions is currently seeking a Manager, Environment, Health & Safety. The select candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (prefer Engineering, Science, or Industrial Hygiene) and have a minimum of 5-10 years’ experience plus an additional 3 years’ experience auditing, training and managing WCB claims. In addition, this individual will possess strong work ethic and a commitment to excellence and innovation.
Emergent BioSolutions is dedicated to one simple mission—to protect and enhance life.
As a global specialty pharmaceutical company, Emergent offers specialized products to healthcare providers and governments to address medical needs and emerging health threats.
We value the diversity that each employee brings, and while we look for people who share our Core Values, we thrive on difference as well. With hundreds of talented employees working around the globe, Emergent is a growing organization with a wide variety of scientific, technical and professional career opportunities worldwide.
The Manager, Environment, Health & Safety will lead Emergent Winnipeg’s environmental, health and safety (EHS) efforts to obtain industry leading results through programs, education, and training. Partner with all functions and department leaders to establish a culture of safety and operational excellence. Champion the EHS values and provide leadership that connects with the front-line employees. Partner with the enterprise efforts to integrate companywide EHS initiatives to the Winnipeg Site. Promote Safety technical knowledge within the corporation and lead the Safety team in providing compliance and operational expertise to the organization’s leadership and their team members.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set the strategy and plans for achieving EHS excellence. Partner with company leadership to establish an organizational culture that fosters positive safety behaviors and practices at all levels.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to the EHS team and committees to support expertise development.
- Working in conjunction with Protective Services, spearhead efforts related to the development and execution of policies and procedures associated with Emergency Response and Business Continuity Plans.
- Develop and implement programs, training/education, and policies/procedures which create a proactive approach to safety and promote continuous improvement in safety-related indicators.
- Ensure the company meets or exceeds requirements established by government and regulatory agencies, such as OSHA, MOSHA, WSHA, DOT, TDG, EPA, and CEPA.
- Report data on safety and environmental performance, trends, compliance, significant incidents and other key performance indicators.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with stakeholders to identify needs and evaluate alternative technical solutions and strategies.
- Partner with Financial Management in the development and monitoring of the annual safety budget.
- Lead workers’ compensation risk management services including the development of risk improvement strategies.
- Supervise hazard and risk assessments to proactively identify areas of opportunity and support the implementation of necessary controls. Facilitate internal/external audits against recognized standards such as CSA Z1000 OHS standard.
- Manage Occupational Hygiene and health related programs.
- Supervise investigations of incidents /near misses and determine corrective action plans. Take decisive action and appropriate actions when standards are not met.
- Acts as or appoints and supports a designated as:
- Institutional Biosafety Officer.
- Respirator Program Administrator
- Worker Compensation Administrator
- Noise Conservation Program Administrator
- Confined Space Program Administrator
- Vaccination Coordinator
- Hazardous Spill Response Coordinator
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by those in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, and other duties may be assigned.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (prefer Engineering, Science, or Industrial Hygiene)
- Certificate in OHS and CRSP/BCSP designation is an asset
- Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in a safety critical operations leadership role or safety specific role. Plus 3 years’ experience auditing, training and WCB claims management.
- Working knowledge of CD-WSHA, CD-TDG, CD-CEPA, and CD-WCA.
- Strong understanding of Disability Management & Return to Work programs and policies.
- Understanding of the practice standards and competencies established by the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals.
- Knowledge in the technical fundamentals of safety management and risk assessments and reduction, including machinery & process safety, industrial hygiene, loss prevention, ergonomics and occupational health.
- Experience working within the PIPEDA and HIPPA framework; maintaining confidentiality of health data and protecting worker’s right to privacy.
- Ability to successfully lead change initiatives.
- Effectively communicates to a variety of audiences at all levels of the organization including external stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership skills with experience developing employees.
- Effectively manage a budget.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to deal effectively and diplomatically with regulatory agencies and company personnel at all levels of management with demonstrated leadership.
Interested? Please visit www.emergentbiosolutions.com under careers to apply today!