Thompson Dorfman Sweatman (TDS) believes that collaboration is essential to providing outstanding professional service. Their collegial workplace fosters greater teamwork, responsiveness, and communication, providing better results for clients. With Manitoba roots that run more than 130 years deep, TDS is Manitoba’s largest independent law firm and has long been recognized as a leading full-service law firm dedicated to serving clients and delivering high quality work.
Thompson Dorfman Sweatman LLP is currently seeking a Legal Assistant with interest in leading a team and with Corporate-Commercial or Litigation experience. The Legal Assistant (Team Lead) will primarily support the efforts of Corporate-Commercial and/or Litigation lawyers and staff at the firm.
The Legal Assistant will primarily support the efforts of assigned lawyers at the organization, assisting with day-to-day tasks such as file management, organizing work, and other duties.
The Team Lead is an add-on role, assignable to Support Services team members (Paralegals and/or Legal Assistants). The Team Lead is responsible for supervising a Support Services team, which serves a specific area of legal practice. Team Leads work within their subject-matter areas to find ways to streamline work processes, make their teams efficient and effective, and identify and address work-load balances. They also coach, develop and engage team members and liaise with lawyers to ensure seamless coverage is provided during team absences.
Perks & Benefits:
Competitive salary package.
Team Lead pay premium.
Fully paid benefits & RRSP matching.
State of the art building and offices.
Centrally located where downtown amenities abound.
- Preparing and drafting various correspondence and documents
- Opening, updating (including data entry and scanning of documentation), organizing, maintaining, and closing legal files and matters (paper and electronic)
- Performing conflict checks, dictation, initial calls with clients, etc.
- Fielding questions, problems, concerns from, and booking meetings with, clients, associates and outside or opposing counsel
- Maintaining an efficient electronic and physical file and document management system
- Maintaining calendar, email and managing lawyers’ practice and client interactions
- Liaising with legal assistants, paralegals, lawyers, and clients on file progress
- Assessing performance, providing commentary in performance reviews, and delivering feedback and/or reviews to team members.
- Supervising team members, setting performance expectations and requirements, and addressing common work performance issues.
- Managing time off requests and team coverage.
- Performing general administrative or other duties as required.
To be successful in this role, you must be extremely flexible, highly motivated with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail. The ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team, with a mature, positive attitude and strong work ethic in a fast-paced, professional environment, are a must. To succeed as a legal assistant in this role, you must also possess the ability to prioritize, have superior organizational skills, and the ability to meet deadlines.
Legal Administrative Assistant certificate or diploma
Strong Microsoft Office skills (i.e., Word, Outlook & Excel)
Strong written and verbal communication skills
Superior organizational, administration and research skills
Mature attitude and deadline driven
We thank all candidates who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.