Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I. Job Summary
Emergent’s CDMO services business has grown considerably in the last several years and the organization is looking for a strategic leader to support the long-term growth of the business, including potential investments in additional capacity and capabilities. Emergent has created this role – the (Senior) Director of Commercial Strategy & Market Insights – to help define, develop, and execute the expansion roadmap and future growth strategy of the CDMO business. The role will report directly to the SVP, CDMO Business Unit Head and be an active and engaged member of the CDMO Leadership Team. Additionally, this is a highly visible role within the organization that will routinely present to senior/executive leadership.
The (Senior) Director of CDMO Strategy & Market Insights will initiate and lead the process to define and execute on the commercial and business strategy, including managing different projects and sub-projects as needed related to overall strategy, new capabilities/services/acquisitions/expansions, and scalability of the processes and systems within the business. This role is responsible for the commercial intelligence function within the CDMO business unit, including benchmarking competitors, market intelligence, and reporting on key metrics and drivers within the industry.
This role will have responsibility for driving the execution of the internal and external strategy, including taking a lead role in organizing a regular cadence of business reviews, strategy updates, competitive intelligence reports, business unit meetings, and ad hoc strategy updates for various stakeholders within the organization. This individual will provide strategic planning direction through significant interaction with business leadership, serving as an advisor and thought partner by challenging conventional wisdom and approaches.
- Serving as a key advisor to the CDMO business unit head and partnering closely with manufacturing operations, corporate strategy, engineering and other senior stakeholders within the organization
- Identify and direct business unit specific projects that involve cross-functional partnerships and connections
- Identify, direct and support strategic initiatives, including business case design, technology scouting, and operational improvements in support of the CDMO business unit
- Collaborate with manufacturing and operational leaders to identify long term value creation opportunities including business case design and implementation
- Lead and support CDMO market intelligence efforts including defining the BU market/commercial strategies, monitoring and implementing adjacent and transformational capabilities including those from development technology scouting
- Formulate and implement strategies to create potential future revenue streams and maximize the CDMO contribution to the overall enterprise value
- Lead or support strategic and operational analysis to make recommendations on key programs and objectives, this includes market intelligence, technology, external collaborations, and M&A opportunities
- Conduct executive-level analysis, program assessment, and recommend improvements in order to deliver strategic plans on behalf of leadership
- Compile concise and actionable reports for the leadership team, in a succinct format, and provide informed opinions on such findings and clear plans for designing and rolling out action/project plans
- Lead cross-functional teams in developing and implementing strategic roadmaps, manage key engagements, and facilitate workshops with key project stakeholders
- Compile, analyze, and distill complex data on market conditions/trends into relevant insights for the CDMO business to inform current and future strategic plans
- Drive business harmonization within the operational and commercial arms of the CDMO BU, using a variety of principles and techniques from Lean, Project Management & Operational Innovation, to harmonize and simplify cross-functional business processes
- Work with site leaders and global functions, such as Finance, Legal, Engineering, Operations, HR and other Emergent business units to drive improvement across the organization
- Interfaces closely with the corporate strategy team to ensure integration of the CDMO strategy into the overall enterprise strategy
- Routine tracking of market news, competitive intelligence, client regulatory news, M&A, funding announcements, competitor/client manufacturing facilities, etc.
- Managing Emergent’s licenses of market intelligence databases and serving as the key end user of these databases for the CDMO business unit
- Research and provide relevant data to support various CDMO stakeholders- Commercial Development, Sales & BD, Marketing, etc.
- As requested, report on the overall CDMO strategy to clients at regular business review meetings
III. Education and Skills
- Minimum bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Biology, Chemistry, or related scientific/technical field of study. Advanced scientific, technical and/or business degree strongly preferred (e.g. M.S., Ph.D., M.B.A.).
- At least 10+ years of experience in operations, consulting, strategy development, or market intelligence in the CDMO or life science industry
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic business plans and commercialization strategies
- Knowledge of cGMPs and drug substance processes through coursework and/or prior work experience
- Experience with assessment and implementation of new service offerings in a CDMO environment.
- Ability to adapt and succeed in a fast-paced environment by working cross-functionally with various stakeholder groups
- Able to develop and implement strategic business plans and commercialization strategies
- Understanding of new technologies and trends in the biopharmaceutical industry – specifically within the biologics CDMO market
- Ability to think critically and analytically about business problems with a solution-focused mindset
- Strong experience with financial modeling (i.e. creating business cases, revenue forecasting, etc.)
- Strong communication across different management levels to foster collaboration, drive alignment, and achieve results
- Broad but substantial knowledge base in multiple CDMO service areas (Development Services, Drug Product, Drug substance).
- Office environment; domestic and international travel required
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.