KGS Group is looking for an Environmental Engineer-in-Training to join our Environmental team in Winnipeg.
We are KGS Group, an employee-owned, multidisciplinary engineering consulting firm serving clients throughout North America. We’re different than traditional engineering firms. We believe a commitment to lasting relationships is just as critical as the expertise applied in our work. To us that means we put our people and clients first. We have the discipline to consistently deliver KGS Quality, never taking the easy way out. We always look closer and dig deeper. And no matter the project, we care enough to do it right.
The Environmental team consists of technical specialists in the areas of: Contaminated Site Assessment, Remediation and Risk Management; Solid Waste Management; Ecology and Environmental Impact Assessment; Hydrogeology and Hydrogeological Engineering; Mine Closure and Reclamation; Emergency Response; and, Demolition and Hazardous Building Materials Assessment.
As an employee-owned company, we’re invested in our work and our people. Working with us means you’ll be part of some of the most interesting projects across Canada. With the extensive, wide-ranging expertise within our company, you’ll have countless opportunities to learn and grow.
The Environmental Engineer-in-Training will be a recent University graduate that is interested in pursuing a career in environmental engineering. In this role with the Winnipeg Environmental team you will have the opportunity to conduct subsurface investigations, provide field monitoring, testing, and sampling services, and write technical documents for a variety of projects.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Assisting with scoping, developing budget, executing, monitoring, and interpreting subsurface exploration programs.
- Monitor and log test boring explorations including visual identification and classification of soil and rock materials, and preparation of boring logs using multiple logging software programs.
- Review and interpret the results from environmental laboratory testing programs.
- Perform calculations and analyses involving interpretation of subsurface conditions.
- Prepare environmental data reports, and report-quality calculation packages.
- Write technical reports, design memoranda, field reports, cost estimating, specifications, and permit documents.
- Safely perform work in the office and field; fieldwork may occur in all seasonal weather conditions, using equipment (with an ability to lift and move approximately 30 pounds without assistance) and operating vehicles on behalf of the company.
- Willing and able to work extended hours, when needed, to meet deadlines.
- Ability and interest in travelling locally and/or national (up to 50% of the time), with possible
- short-term or long-term assignments at project sites.
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experiences. Some highlights could include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Geotechnical, or Geological Engineering. Post-graduate degree M.Sc. and/or Ph.D. will be considered an asset.
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) or Engineering Intern (EI) designation or an ability to obtain within two years.
- Academic or professional training in geology, subsurface investigations, contaminant transport, hydrogeology, and environmental site management.
- 0-3 years’ experience in the geology, civil, or environmental fields, to include: assessment of hazardous building materials; field logging and sampling of sediment and/or soil; collection of surface and groundwater samples; field screening technologies; performing hydrogeological field tests; and surveying/GIS. .
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint software.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited senior oversight.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with a team or with minimal supervision, and with contractors and multi-disciplinary environment, with a willingness to perform a variety of assignments on short notice with a positive attitude.
- Strong attention to detail; accuracy is essential.
- Focused organization and time management abilities.
- Excellent verbal and strong writing skills.
- Understanding the importance of health & safety as a top priority.
- Valid Driver’s License.
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.
KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.
In you are interested, please apply through KGS Group website at: https://kgsgroup.com/careers/environmental-eit-winnipeg/