We have an immediate opening for an Engineer to join our growing team. This interesting and challenging position will focus on the design and operation of processing systems associated with the conversion of biomass into a stable biocarbon material via pyrolysis.
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba (and surrounding areas)
Start: Immediate (willing to be flexible for the right candidate).
Compensation: Competitive + health and dental package
Carbon Lock Tech is a Manitoba-based start-up focused on developing systems and processes for accelerating the removal and sequestration of atmospheric carbon. The increasing accumulation of carbon emissions in the atmosphere – in the form of carbon dioxide or methane – is a major driver of climate change. Solutions are needed to both reduce current emissions and draw existing carbon out of the atmosphere.
Carbon Lock Tech is developing a novel approach to carbon dioxide removal and sequestration that leverages the power of plants to take in and photosynthesize atmospheric carbon. This carbon is sourced through organic materials of all types and converted into a stable form of biocarbon. The company is looking to advance its prototype technologies and implement strategies for scale-up and commercialization. Carbon Lock Tech is supported by the National Research Council, Sustainable Development Technology Canada, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, and the Government of Manitoba.
• Designing and developing prototype systems for accepting, pre-processing and carbonizing organic waste inputs (e.g. crop, food, agri-food, landscape, etc.) into stable biocarbon. This may involve conducting literature reviews, developing experiments and tests, managing purchasing and fabrication projects, assembling, commissioning and testing prototypes, and other duties as required.
• Developing and designing systems for syngas handling and pyrolysis oil capture, valorization of the two streams, including conversion into heat energy.
• Contributing to the Engineering Group’s efforts to scale up from pilot project to demonstration site.
Essential Criteria *
• A bachelor’s degree in engineering (master’s degree an asset)
• A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or refugee legally authorized to work in Canada
• A legal resident of Manitoba (Winnipeg or surrounding area)
• At least 5 years of proven industry experience working as a mechanical engineer, process engineer, systems engineer, agricultural engineer, or similar
• Strong and direct “hands on” experience designing, building, fabricating, installing, commissioning, testing, repairing, optimizing and operating prototype technologies
• Proven ability to work in a start-up environment with challenging goals, changing priorities, technical uncertainties, and prototype technologies
• Professional engineer (P.Eng.) designation
• Demonstrated success in developing and applying innovative, integrated engineering solutions that align with business objectives
• Demonstrated success in understanding and integrating high-level objectives with practical and efficient systems and processes
• Flexible and innovative approach to problem solving
• Positive "can do" attitude to setting priorities and accomplishing tasks
• Strong motivation to work in the areas of climate change, carbon management, and clean-tech
• Member of the following employment equity groups: Women, Visible Minorities, Indigenous Peoples, Persons with Disabilities
Please apply online at https://carbonlocktech.com/engineer
* Only those that meet the Essential Criteria will be contacted. Thank you.