Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA, R3T 5Y3
We go where others won’t, taking on some of the biggest public health challenges to protect and enhance millions of lives, and create a better, more secure world. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect and enhance life.
The General Manager, Site Head provides strategic site leadership to achieve short and long-term goals of the Winnipeg and Hattiesburg Sites, while engaging and aligning with stakeholders across the enterprise. The primary responsibility of the Site Head is to provide oversight of day to day and strategic operations of the manufacturing and/or fill/finish facility for internal and CDMO products and services.
In addition, the Site Head contributes to the development of the enterprise Corporate Operating Plan and is accountable for managing the execution of the plan at the site level.
Planning and Strategy
- Align, set, and communicate site strategy to enterprise strategy.
- Collaborate and partner with functions on strategic initiatives and operational requirements.
- Lead the site in the development and execution of the annual Hoshin plan goals/annual improvement priorities and assure alignment to these goals.
- Proactively plan for changing conditions and achieve growth goals and revenue targets.
- Provide input in developing the enterprise Corporate Operating Plan, align site Hoshin plan to COP and manage the execution of the plan.
- Provide leadership for overall manufacturing Operations and ensure production efficiency, product quality, and timely product delivery.
- Oversee contract negotiation activities for CDMO operations.
- Collaborate with quality and regulatory functions to provide cross-functional direction, alignment, and compliance adherence.
- Optimize COGs by controlling costs, labour, competitive pricing, lean management, etc.
- Drive cross-functional collaboration as well as inter-site collaboration in the advancement of our portfolio and product development efforts.
- Drive strategic growth of the site in alignment with our short and long-term strategic plans as an organization, including enhanced facility utilization as a key asset in our growth strategy.
- Ensure all site operations operate in a compliant manner, honoring both the letter and spirit of relevant policies and regulations.
- Partner with Operational Excellence to improve performance to plan metrics around Safety, Quality, Delivery, Economics and People.
Leadership and Engagement
- Lead by example in line with Emergent core values and core competencies.
- Actively support and champion talent management initiatives including ongoing leadership/employee development and succession planning.
- Partner with leaders in strengthening employee engagement across the site.
- Foster a culture committed to innovation and operational excellence.
- Communicates company and cross-functional information effectively to the site.
- Provide leadership and direction to the site leadership team (SLT).
- Actively promotes and supports the Emergent Gives program and engages with local leaders to improve local communities.
- Work with peers to actively partner in process optimization and harmonization efforts across the enterprise.
- Provide support to enterprise due diligence and integration activities as required.
- Collaborate across the site to integrate enterprise initiatives into Hoshin planning and resource allocation activities.
Financial & Resource Management
- Accountable for site Profit & Loss; ensuring site meets or exceeds financial targets for revenue and expenses.
- Lead site budget process and oversee annual budgets for manufacturing functions.
- Responsible for overall expense versus budget management of the site and the drive for cost structure optimization.
- Prioritize and approve large capital expenditures.
- Accountable for site capital planning process and approve local capital projects within authorization matrix limits.
- Establishe sustained, productive, and effective relations with key customers, suppliers, the FDA, Health Canada, and other government agencies.
- Represent the site during regulatory audits and on major issues with primary customers.
- Assure customer satisfaction; deliver services to each client to the extent of the approved contract using good business practices and resolve issues in a quality and timely manner
- Foster a positive reputation for Emergent, locally and beyond, through building strong external relationships in the community.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by those in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, and other duties may be assigned.
Education, Experience & Skills
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent preferably in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Engineering, or related field. Masters’ degree or PhD preferred.
- 15+ years progressively responsible experience in pharmaceutical manufacturing leadership required; biologics or aseptic experience preferred.
- Experience working in a matrixed environment is preferred.
- A strong leader, communicator, and morale builder.
- Strong experience in strategic management, planning and execution.
- Knowledge of regulatory and quality (cGMP) requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated success in advancing employee engagement, and diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
- Skilled in assessing and optimizing operations and organizational structures.
- Experience in formulating, developing, and implementing new strategies and initiatives while consulting and engaging multiple stakeholders.
- Aptitude to evaluate overall resources and adjust to meet corporate goals.
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.