ABOUT CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENTS LIMITED (CEL)
Acquired by Madison Industries in 2022, CEL is recognized as the leading global manufacturer of plant growth chambers and rooms. Our controlled environment technology uniquely equips researchers and growers with solutions to meet global demands for plant-based food and health products. CEL’s projects range from small single-chamber installations to large scale, multi-room facilities in some of the most prestigious corporate, university and research institutions in over 90 countries around the world.
We are an entrepreneurial organization built on the expertise of our people and are committed to attracting and retaining employees who are curious, and learning orientated to ensure we meet the ever-evolving needs of our clients. Our employees enjoy competitive salaries, benefits and reward programs, within an engaging and collaborative work environment. Conviron recognizes that our continued success is dependent on the growth of our people, and therefore encourages and supports employees’ continual development.
Reporting to: President and CEO
The CFO acts in the capacity of a true business partner with the executive team and executes on a mandate to provide overall financial direction and vision to the organization. As such, the CFO provides analysis, interpretation, and decision-support; engages in short and long-term planning; leads the successful execution of related initiatives designed to contribute to the achievement of the organization’s strategic direction; and helps to shape longer-term strategies related to the business. As a key member of the executive team, the CFO also contributes significantly to business growth and development by playing a critical role in strategic planning and execution.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
The CFO is responsible and accountable for overseeing:
- the financial stewardship of all business assets.
- the timely delivery of complete and accurate financial statements, management reports, budgets, and forecasts, while adhering to all regulatory requirements.
- the financial, accounting, tax, insurance, auditing, credit, risk assessment and management, treasury/FX operations, and related functions of the organization.
- driving financial performance in the business through an understanding of business operations and ensuring a continuous improvement mindset exists across the organization.
- ownership of the Conviron and Argus Information Technology (IT) function and ensuring critical priorities are met to drive an efficient operation.
- managing various projects and their processes.
- financial modeling, developing business cases and business plans.
- structuring business operations, financially and legally.
- ensuring sound capital allocation decisions are made.
- monitoring the progress of all new and existing businesses; and
- identifying and implementing major economic objectives and policies.
Operationally, the CFO’s mandate is to ensure that the operating companies are continually focused on business activities that generate the greatest returns and driving consistent daily, monthly, weekly, quarterly, and annual performance of the operations in terms of revenue, margin, and cash flow.
The CFO is expected to develop a deep operational understanding of the business and to apply expertise in manufacturing-finance to analyze and assess pricing strategies, margin expansion opportunities, and consistently improve on the businesses ability to generate and sustain cash flow.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- A strong, visionary, and strategic financial leader with a business-wide perspective and a record of success in making commercial decisions and recommendations that impact the overall business.
- Growth-oriented and highly entrepreneurial, with broad exposure to business operations and an understanding of how to impact and maximize short and long-term financial performance.
- Solid corporate finance background that includes cash flow management and planning and a strong measurement and metrics management orientation.
- Strong business acumen with a proven ability in the definition and achievement of high-performance targets, goals, and objectives; delivering meaningful management reporting, analysis, and interpretation; and strategic planning.
- Well-developed technical strengths in corporate finance and accounting from within a complex environment with international (multi-currency) operations.
- Skilled in:
- Strategic Financial Planning
- Canadian GAAP
- US GAAP
- Financial Analysis & Reporting
- Internal Controls
- Financial Modeling
- Experienced in developing and implementing continuous improvement and benchmarking processes, procedures, policies, and best practices, including through the leveraging of technology.
- Superior interpersonal, relationship and team-building skills. Adept at working constructively within teams and in developing and managing diverse relationships at all levels.
- Experience, credentials, and a ‘presence’ that quickly inspires confidence and garners trust and respect, internally and externally. The ability to dive in and provide early leadership.
- Effective communication skills (written, oral, presentation), with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization and at varying levels of complexity and detail.
DESIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree in Finance or Accounting; and
- Professional accounting designation (CA) or MBA is preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of eight years in a Finance / Accounting roles with P&L and Balance Sheet ownership.
- Proven capability to manage, grow and develop teams.
- Demonstrated ability to manage all facets of Accounting and Finance.
- Experience within an industrial / manufacturing company is preferred.
Don’t meet every single requirement?
We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, so we strongly encourage you to apply even if you don't believe you meet every single qualification outlined. At CEL, our unwavering commitment is to foster an inclusive and diverse workplace that reflects our global community. We firmly believe that diversity is our greatest strength and cornerstone of our corporate culture. We strive to create an environment where every employee, regardless of their background, identity, or beliefs, feels valued, respected, and empowered to contribute their unique perspectives and talents. We recognize that by celebrating our differences and ensuring equitable opportunities for all, we can unlock the full potential of our teams, driving innovation and growth while making a positive impact on the world. Together, we are dedicated to creating a workplace where every voice is heard, and every individual can thrive, thus making our company and our world a safer, healthier and more productive place.
Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations can contact email@example.com in confidence. Reasonable accommodations can and will be provided at all stages of the application process and once hired.
- Duration: Full-Time/Permanent
- Compensation: Successful candidate will be remunerated based on their skills and experience.
- Date of Posting: December 27, 2023.
- Closing Date: Once a suitable candidate is selected.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should submit a resume for consideration to: firstname.lastname@example.org
590 Berry Street
Attn. Human Resources
Please include the title CFO in your subject line.