New Fund to Advance Strides Toward Vaccines and Treatments for Coronavirus
Richardson Centre for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals
The Richardson Centre for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals is in the midst of exciting and ongoing research. Located in Smartpark Research and Technology Park, University of Manitoba, the Centre is dedicated to the discussion, discovery, and development of functional foods and nutraceuticals, with a focus on the crops of the Canadian Prairies.
The Centre is committed to the potential and growth of researchers, industry, academia, and producers, and is dedicated to the support of these groups.
To lead functional foods and nutraceuticals research for the improvement of health and nutrition and to support the development of an economically viable functional food and nutraceutical industry in Manitoba and western Canada.
The RCFFN has two primary roles in fulfilling its mission statement:
1.To lead functional foods and nutraceuticals research for the improvement of health and nutrition, the following key goals have been identified:
- Facilitate discussion, discovery, and development of new products, analytical techniques and technology innovation
- Focus the related research capabilities and human resources currently in place in the University Faculties of Agricultural and Food Sciences, Human Ecology, Medicine, and Pharmacy
- Coordinate the multi-disciplinary collaborative R&D efforts necessary for taking bio-actives from identification to ready-for-clinical examination and pre-commercialization
- Attract new researchers and scientists involved in core and related areas of study
- Attract, train and retain students in all aspects of research and development in FF&N area
- Expand the technical infrastructure available at the University, within the province and the region
- Promote an Economically Viable Industry
2. To promote and support the development of an economically viable industry in Manitoba and western Canada, the following key goals have been identified:
- Be the main source for scientific and regulatory information concerning bio-active compounds, nutraceuticals, functional foods and natural health product in Western Canada
- Act as a catalyst for the development of plant-based products, increasing the processing of western Canadian agricultural commodities and the capturing of related economic spin-offs
Contact Info196 Innovation Dr. Winnipeg R3T 6C5 MB Canada
P: 1 204 474 9787
F: 1 204 474 7552